Top 5 Best Places to Stay in St. Croix USVI in 2023
1. Beachfront Vacation Rentals
Beachfront vacation rentals & villas are a very popular choice to experience an authentic and luxurious Caribbean island lifestyle. St. Croix villas offer all the amenities you need to relax, unwind and recharge on your holiday. Many offer stunning ocean views, have fresh water private pools, plus expansive private grounds and gardens.
The best St. Croix beachfront vacation rentals are often in gated communities for absolute privacy, seclusion and security. Their tranquil location and peace of mind feeling “at home” enhances any vacation but also means usually you need to rent a car. Which is not really a drawback because you won’t fully experience St. Croix without exploring the island.
Food & drink bills on holiday are often more than lodging, so vacation rentals’ cooking facilities can save you money by avoiding the high cost of always dining out. Most visitors find that renting a private villa in St. Croix is cheaper than staying in a hotel (especially for families and groups), all while enjoying the comforts of a private beachfront home.
Imagine this view every day
Relax to Swaying Palms
Romantic and memorable
Dine inside or out
Spacious with tropical Theme
Even the bathroom Has a view
There are also many lovely non-beachfront villas for rent in St. Croix which also provide a 1st-class Caribbean holiday experience. Many are further up in the lush green hills of St. Croix and provide unforgettable views of the Caribbean, and are less expensive than beachfront villas.
The decision really comes down to how close you want to be to the ocean, hear its surf and smell its sultry air. And your budget, of course 🙂
Click here to read more about the best St. Croix villas and vacation rentals.
2. Beach Resorts in St. Croix
St. Croix beach resorts are also an excellent option for visitors seeking a classic resort experience. These guests often prefer to spend most their time at the resort, which dictates enhanced on-site entertainment and dining options.
Luckily, St. Croix has a good selection of beach resorts for every budget. Here’s a summary:
- Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort: the most famous and expensive beach resort in St. Croix, the Buccaneer is an outstanding 5-star beach resort with all the amenities you’d expect. You can rent private cottages or a resort room. There are 3 beaches at the Buccaneer, perfect for beach strolls, swimming, snorkeling, tanning and just relaxing. There are beach lounges under tiki umbrellas, plus a full selection of water sports and land activities. The Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort has been open since 1947 and currently operates under the Wyndham brand but is family-owned. The resort has a pink Colonial style Great House on a hillside overlooking an 18-hole championship golf course. So if you’re looking for a classic and elegant Caribbean vacation, the Buccaneer is for you. It’s a top rated, globally-recognized resort and certainly one of the best places to stay in St. Croix.
- Carambola Beach Resort: This beach resort in located on St. Croix’s north shore and is managed by Marriott. The property occupies the land of a former sugar plantation and has a beautiful private stretch of beach. The resort offers a 5-star beach experience and is close to popular St. Croix things to do like visiting the Annaly Bay tidal pools, seeking thrills on the the Carambola zipline, visiting the Mount Pellier Domino Club with its beer-drinking pigs, and of course hitting the greens at the affiliated 18-hole Carambola Golf Club.
- Divi Carina Beach Resort & Casino: a St. Croix all-inclusive beach resort that is adult-only (sorry kids) and located on the east end of St. Croix. It’s a classic all-inclusive beach resort for guests looking for full-service activities, dining and amenities. It was recently renovated and offers both rooms and suites. Water and land activities include two shared pools, paddle board, kayaks, tennis, pickleball, and shuffle board. There’s a good fitness center on site as well as a on-site casino offering slots and table gambling.
- Bungalows on the Bay: Bungalows is the former Chenay Bay Beach Resort and has around 50 individual cabin-style cottages. Some have ocean views while others have garden views. Each has a porch-patio, a kitchen for light cooking, AC, and private bath. They’re set on over 30 acres of lovely grounds with a sandy beach and large common pool. There’s an on-site restaurant serving meals all day as well as a lively beach bar. There’s often live music, parties on the beach, and events there, so it’s very popular for travelers looking for a St. Croix beach resort with a laid-back atmosphere. There’s tennis, basketball and lots of water sports gear for rental, like paddle boards and kayaks. You can catch some good last-minute pricing on its website, which makes it one of the best places to stay in St. Croix with a beach.
- Palms at Pelican Cove: a 40-room beach resort located on a white sandy beach about 3 miles west of Christiansted. All rooms feature sea views, and there is a large pool. Activities include water sports, swimming and snorkeling. The on-site restaurant offers open-air dining and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There’s a good bar serving a large selection of drinks and there is usually live music and dancing at least 3-4 nights a week. So it’s a nice choice if you want classic beach resort amenities but also to be just minutes away from Christiansted and its broader dining and entertainment offerings.
- Tamarind Reef Resort & Spa: Tamarind Reef is a 40-unit beach resort located on 40 acres of land a few miles east of Christiansted. There’s a nice sandy beach with a reef just a few feet from the beach offering super snorkeling. You can lounge under palm trees, play beach volleyball, swim in the pool, or play on one of the 4 tennis courts. There are 2 on-site restaurants, The Galleon offering seafood and fine dining, and the Deep End Bar & Grill offering more casual, pool-side a la carte breakfast, lunch and dinner. There’s usually live music & dancing which gives a lively vibe to the resort. This resort also has a spa and a marina with 150 slips. Mid-range in price, it’s often named one of the best beach resort to stay at in St. Croix USVI.
3. Condo Rentals
Beachfront condos are a popular choice with travelers to St. Croix. In terms of privacy and space, condos are somewhere between a villa and a hotel. They offer more space than a hotel room but less than a villa. They can usually accommodate up to 8 people, so if you’re looking where to stay in St Croix with a large family, renting a condo mite be a good choice.
They usually have a shared common pool, some type of snack bar for food and drinks, as well as facilities for water sports and land sports (tennis, basketball, bean bag toss, shuffleboard). Some condo complexes also have a clubhouse where guests can mix and meet fellow travelers.
Good options for St. Croix beachfront condos include:
- Gentle Winds: centrally-located on St. Croix’s north shore, Gentle Winds offers 66 units with two and three-bedrooms. It has a relaxed resort feel and spans 40 acres with a private sandy beach. Units have both ocean views as well as views of the green rolling hills out the back. There’s a large common pool, a beach shack serving typical American food and drinks, and a club house for mingling with other guests. Activities include swimming, snorkeling, tennis, basketball and a golf putting green. It’s a great location between Cane Bay and its activities (7 minutes away) and Christiansted (13 minutes away). If you’ve ever wondered “Where are the best places to stay in St. Croix?”, Gentle Winds may be the answer!
- SeaClusion Condos: a new, smaller condo community consisting of only 9 units, SeaClusion complex is located in a gated community near Cane Bay on St. Croix’s north shore. Cane Bay beach, scuba diving, a dive center and several good restaurants are nearby. It’s centrally-located and about a 15 minute drive from Frederiksted, Christiansted and the St. Croix Airport. Local dining options include: The Landing @ Cane Bay, local food trucks, AMA at Cane Bay, Off The Wall Pizza, and Rowdy Joe’s.
- Sugar Beach condos: Sugar Beach Condo Resort is located a few miles west of Christiansted on a 7-acre property that includes a 400-foot sandy beach. There are 42 units and each offers a nice view of the Caribbean sea. Ground floor units open directly on to the beach. There is a nice community swimming pool and some old historic ruins of a Danish sugar mill. There’s also a clubhouse for mingling and relaxing.
Non-beachfront condos: As with villas, you can also find great condo rentals in St. Croix which are not directly on the water but still have great sea views and are just minutes from a beach. The main attraction is their low cost, which makes them a good place to stay and not blow your travel budget.
Options for non-beachfront condos in St. Croix include:
- The Reef condos: a condo community on St. Croix’s east end located on a 9-hole golf course. There are 101 condos here, and many are available for rent. Amenities here include the Reef golf course, a nice large community pool, an 18-hole disc golf course, a tennis court and five courts for pickle ball. Dining options include a casual cafe called TLC Cafe and a well-know seafood restaurant called Duggan’s Reef. There’s a nice beach nearby as well. Condo rentals here are priced attractively, which makes the Reef one of the best places to stay in St. Croix on a budget while still getting a quality experience.
4. Boutique Hotels
Visitors to St. Croix will find a broad selection of small charming boutique hotels in Christiansted and Frederiksted which are a great choice if you want to be “near the action”. These small historical towns are centers of activity and social life on St. Croix. Accordingly, you’ll find the largest selection of shops, bars, restaurants, duty-free, and entertainment options. Everything is within walking distance, so this is a great option if you’re not renting a car.
Here are some small botique hotels popular with travelers:
- The Fred: located on the Frederiksted waterfront, the Fred is a stylish and well-designed boutique hotel on the beach just south of downtown Frederiksted. It is adults-only. The rooms are individually decorated which always encourages you to visit again for a new experience. The rooms have balconies facing a pool courtyard, where there is a 2-story bar and deck to chill out and view the beach and ocean. Special touches like chandeliers, blue walls and a giant painting of a chicken in the lobby set the vibe as you arrive. If you’re looking for trendy, chic and weird in a cool way, this is the place for you.
- Victoria House: Located on tyhFrederiksted, Victoria House is a charming boutique inn with only 8 rooms. Each room is uniquely decorated in tasteful Caribbean style. The property is a historic building reflecting St. Croix’s past and exuding style. Some rooms offer expansive ocean views while others look out back. The rooms come equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, AC and private bathrooms. Property managers go the extra mile to meet guests needs and earn high ratings on TripAdvisor. Within walking distance of bars, restaurants, gift shops, artist studios and beaches, Victoria House is a great place to stay in St. Croix if you want cozy centrally-located lodging in a historic Caribbean town.
- The Waves at Cane Bay: This charming hotel is well-located near the beach, bars, restaurants, and scuba diving at Cane Bay. With only 11 rooms you’re sure to get an intimate and personalized stay here. There are many dining options nearby and within walking distance, like AMA at Cane Bay, The Landing At Cane Bay, and Off the Wall. It’s a perfect location for scuba divers as it is home to the famous “Wall”, which drops off sharply to 13,000 feet deep just a few hundred yards from the shore. Cane Bay Beach is perfect for swimming, snorkeling and lounging. This boutique is on the higher side cost-wise and gets great reviews.
5. Unique lodging
St. Croix offers unique and unusual lodging offerings for visitors. Among them include:
- St Croix container homes: these are small houses built out of 20′ and 40-foot steel shipping containers. While small on space, they are packed full with comfortable furnishings, kitchens, bedrooms, and deck areas and make a pleasant place to stay on a short holiday. Here’s links to 2 STX container homes: a container home at Cane Bay and one near Christiansted.
- Modular cottages: These are compact but efficient modern cottages offering all amenities you’d expect in a larger vacation rental home. Our favorite is Cliffside STX near Salt River Marina. Here are some photos of the 3 cottages at Cliffside STX:
- Campgrounds on St. Croix USVI: There are a few St. Croix campgrounds offering camping in a tropical environment. Cane Bay Campgrounds is one to try:
Mount Victory Camp is another unique camping experience on St. Croix. It’s a relaxing eco-retreat in the rainforest hills of St. Croix. Quiet and peaceful, great for romantic couples’ getaways, trips with friends, and always family friendly. Only 1.8 Miles up a shady jungle drive from beautiful white sand beaches.
- Ridge to Reef Farm: Ridge to Reef Farm is a 140 acre certified Organic farm and nature conservation site in the Rainforest of St. Croix. There are 7 guest cabanas and 2 villas for rent, to individuals, families, and groups up to 35 people. Local organic food is the central purpose of the establishment, which seeks to increase the amount of healthy food for the Virgin Islands. Our property is somewhat remote for a small island, offering a peaceful haven and tropical paradise that invites exploration, nature connection, and a close relationship with your food.
- CARIBBEAN ECO RETREAT: The Featherleaf Inn St. Croix is a boutique eco-themed inn on St. Croix’s west side near Frederiksted. This historic estate is part of a 260-year-old plantation that is being transformed into a seaside botanical food-forest. It maintains a Danish architectural appeal while providing modern conveniences. The rooms are 100% solar powered and adjacent to a secluded bay for snorkeling and swimming. Each room has a private entrance, private bath, and great sea views. This is a vegan paradise and among the best places to stay in St. Croix.
- Sand Castles on the Beach: A cozy boutique hotel on a nice sandy beach about 2 miles from Frederiksted. Offer five types of accommodations ranging from beachfront villas to economical studios. Adults only, gay friendly with one pool clothing-optional. Has an on-site restaurant called the Beach Side Cafe. Gets good reviews from guest who like its inclusive attitude, sandy beach and great sunsets. Also popular because it offers 1-day beach passes for cruise ship passengers.
Youtube videos on the Best Places to Stay in St. Croix
Now you know the Best Places to Stay in St. Croix USVI in 2023!
Click here to find out Where is St. Croix?